The Residential Building Process
The Residential Building Process: Application, Plan Review, and Inspections
1. Determine if a permit is required. Do I Need a Permit?
2. Prepare the necessary construction documents (i.e. plat, plans) and submit them to the Building Department.
Permit applications may be submitted in person at Town Hall (100 E Main St.); via fax to (540) 381-7238; or via email.
Please note that each project is different and may not require all of the forms listed below.
3. The permit application will be reviewed.
The items listed below are not all-inclusive but are some of the most common items reviewed by the individual departments.
Please note that permit review may vary depending upon the scope of the application.
Building Inspections - reviews contractor licensing class, proper designations relevant to work being performed, individual tradesman designations, expiration dates on license and tradesman certifications, fees, cost of construction, description of work, description of construction type, edition of applicable codes, mechanics lien, owner affidavit, appropriate signatures; performs plan review for code compliance
Planning – reviews parcel district, height of structure, and location on lot reference to easements, lot lines, structures, and streets; checks for any property or zoning issues
Engineering – reviews water and sewer connections, erosion control, drainage
Treasurer/Finance – checks for unpaid fees associated with the parcel in question; reviews business license requirements as applicable
4. The plans will be reviewed.
5. Correct, modify and resubmit documents if any departments require clarification or changes to the original submittal.
6. Pick up and pay for the building permit.
Once your permit application has been approved and paid for, you will receive a copy of the permit.
7. Post copy of permit on job site.
8. Request required inspections by calling (540) 382-6120 ext. 1122.
9. Complete the work and obtain the final inspection.
10. Obtain a Certificate of Occupancy (if applicable).